Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large nocturnal African cobra with a thick body and large head.Also called asp
- ‘She would not live this way, so history says she had an asp, which was an Egyptian cobra, brought to her hidden in a basket of figs.’
- ‘By common consent, Cleopatra's ticket to oblivion would have been the Egyptian cobra.’
- ‘The Egyptian cobra is one of the largest cobras of the African continent.’
- ‘Visitors to North Africa today are most likely to see the Egyptian cobra being used by snake charmers as part of their performance.’
- ‘Most of them use the hooded cobra, and in Egypt the most popular species is the aggressive Egyptian cobra, which can grow to a length of almost eight feet and looks most impressive when it puffs up its hood.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.