One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Hellenic people speaking the Doric dialect of Greek, thought to have entered Greece from the north c.1100 BC. They settled in the Peloponnese and later colonized Sicily and southern Italy.
- ‘Herodotus speaks of Ionians, Dorians, Herakleeidai, and Akhaians among the Greeks, that is, with aggregative self-definitions.’
- ‘But, around 1100 BCE, the Mycenaeans were invaded by barbarians called Dorians and all their advances disappeared.’
- ‘When Herodotus writes about Ionians, Dorians, Herakleeidai, Akhaians he also mentions myths of origins in relation to genealogies of the eponymous ancestors Helen, Doros, Aiolos, Ion, and Akhaios.’
- ‘Next in the town's history, another important event happened during the Mycenean period, when the Dorians tried to invade and take the control over the town.’
Relating to the Dorians or to Doris in central Greece.
- ‘But Pindar and others also assign the foundation of the games to Herakles, as noted above, an attempt, some have suggested, to assert a clearly Dorian claim to the foundation of the games, since Herakles is a Dorian hero.’
Via Latin from Greek Dōrios ‘of Doris’ + -ian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.