Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A change in frequency due to the Doppler effect.
- ‘Now, physicists in England have demonstrated a topsy-turvy Doppler shift in which a radio wave's frequency rises as the source recedes.’
- ‘This is simply the relativistic Doppler shift for light.’
- ‘This causes a periodic Doppler shift of the spectrum of one or both members of the pair.’
- ‘That pulsars are part of a binary system is indicated by Doppler shifts in the pulse period and the change in arrival time of the pulse.’
- ‘The Doppler shift happens with light as well as with sound.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.