One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The broadening of spectral lines as a result of the different velocities of the emitting atoms giving rise to different Doppler shifts.
- ‘Doppler broadening is due to the distribution of atomic velocities (speed and direction), which each have a Doppler shift with respect to an observer.’
- ‘For atomic spectra in the visible and UV, the limit on resolution is often set by Doppler broadening.’
- ‘Alternatively, they are not optimum for elimination of Doppler broadening.’
- ‘In a low pressure gas, the main source of broadening is Doppler broadening from the thermal motion of the atoms or molecules of the gas.’
- ‘When the driving field is resonant, at a suitable Doppler width, we can get a maximum value of the gain without inversion, which is much larger than that obtained when Doppler broadening is absent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.