Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a Dene people of NW Canada.
- ‘After that the Dogribs paddled quietly up the Greygoose River, and meekly returned to their woodland home.’
- ‘The Dogribs and other Athapaskan tribes no longer had to send their furs through Chipewyan middlemen or travel long distances to Hudson Bay to trade.’
- ‘No one among the Dogribs broke out to do any fancy dancing, - the accompaniment was by voice only.’
- ‘Then, most Dogribs were still not speaking English and had no concept of the country called Canada.’
- ‘Aboriginally, the several socioterritorial groups or regional bands of Dogribs were autonomous.’
2[mass noun] The Athabaskan language of the Dogrib, with about 2,000 speakers.
Relating to the Dogrib or their language.
- ‘It was followed by Dene, Inuktitut, Slavey, Dogrib and Ojibway translations.’
- ‘In 1959, she joined a colleague for five months of fieldwork, beginning a 25-year focus on Dogrib ethnography and a research partnership that produced several influential and important articles, books, and reports.’
- ‘There are a growing number of Dogrib individuals in leadership positions in their communities and in Yellowknife.’
- ‘Native Indians from the Dogrib First Nations community in Canada were demonstrating their ancient lore and traditions in Stromness on Saturday afternoon.’
- ‘In 2001, an Inuit hunter from Baker Lake, two Yellowknife hunters from Dettah, and two Dogrib hunters from Fort Rae were also surveyed during this period.’
Translation of Dogrib Thlingchadinne dog's flank, from the legend that the people's common ancestor was a dog.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.