Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A class of myriapod arthropods that comprises the millipedes.
- ‘The goal was to understand better pleurojulid trunk-ring architecture and to document character states for use in formulating hypotheses about the phylogenetic position of pleurojulids within Diplopoda.’
- ‘Less frequently they will also eat Diplopoda, Araneae, snails, crabs, tree frogs, lizards and fish (Actinopterygii).’
- ‘The millipedes described herein, aside from being representatives of a group that has an extremely limited fossil record outside of a few key Upper Carboniferous Lagerstatten, make an important contribution to the study of Diplopoda.’
- ‘This arthropod subphylum includes the Chilopoda, the Diplopoda, the Pauropoda, and the Symphyla.’
- ‘Scudder considered Archipolypoda to represent the ‘prototypes’ of Diplopoda and possibly also Pauropoda.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek diploos ‘double’ + pous, pod- ‘foot’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.