One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the deputy of the Lord Lieutenant of a county.
- ‘Despite his wealth, he has remained close to his roots in Derbyshire where he held the honorary position of deputy lieutenant of the country in 1999.’
- ‘The representative deputy lieutenant for Greenwich conducted the ceremony at the Town Hall.’
- ‘He was deputy lieutenant of Greater Manchester in 1994.’
- ‘He was deputy lieutenant of Durham and magistrate in three counties, acquiring estates and houses which became centres of high society.’
- ‘A deputy lieutenant says she was ‘mortified’ when a wheelchair provided didn't fit down the aisle and staff had to lift her over the heads of other passengers to reach her seat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.