Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a group of peoples inhabiting eastern Afghanistan, northern Pakistan, and Kashmir.
- ‘The Dard and Baltis inhabit Gurez, Tilel and Draas.’
- ‘But the Dards of Baltistan, guided by the path of the Indus, decided to lend some touches of green to its banks.’
- ‘In June 1994, three new regions were opened up to international travellers: the lands of the Changpah nomads; Nubra, a little patch of Indian land between China and Pakistan; and Dah-Hanu, inhabited by the last Dards of the Indus.’
- ‘He further claims that Dards were not an ‘Aryan ‘race but they were the original inhabitants of this area while Aryans came later.’’
- ‘After the Mon came the Dards from the Muslim Hunza district.’
2[mass noun] The group of Indic languages spoken by the Dards, including Kashmiri.
Relating to the Dards or their languages.
- ‘Under the name of the Dard country, the whole mountainous track between the ‘Hindukush ‘and the northern frontiers of India proper has been included.’
- ‘The project threatens to forcibly evict the remaining 25.000 members of the Dard Shin people, who are strongly opposing the damming of the Gurez valley.’
- ‘In Sanskrit the term Dard means ‘mountain’ and was perhaps used because most of the Dardic area is mountainous.’
- ‘The major nine social ethnic groups are Kashmiri, Dogra, Gujjar, Bakerwal, Dard (immigrated long ago from Dardistan, CentralAsia), Balti, Gaddi, Pothwari (both Muslim and non-Muslim) and Chibalis.’
- ‘Just five Dard villages belong to Ladakh; they present to our eyes an extraordinary world, which gives one a feeling of living through a meeting with the story of humanity.’
The name in Dard.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.