One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild North American sheep found in mountainous country from Alaska to British Columbia.Also called white sheep
- ‘Do you think you could successfully hunt Dall sheep in Alaska's most unforgiving country with a classic American hunting rifle?’
- ‘Here, just 250 miles south of the Arctic Circle, grizzly bears meander along the roads, caribou feed with calves in tow, and mountain goats and Dall sheep cling to high outcroppings.’
- ‘Crossing the Continental Divide in midnight sunlight, we will encounter grizzlies, wolves, Dall sheep, caribou, musk oxen, and an astonishing variety of Arctic birds.’
- ‘Then there's the scenery - the mountains, the Dall sheep on the hillsides, the pods of Beluga whales passing by - where else can you find that?’
- ‘Polar and grizzly bear, caribou, musk ox, Dall sheep, wolf, arctic fox, and more than 100 species of migratory birds use the land.’
Early 20th century: named after William H. Dall (1845–1927), American naturalist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.