Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism and, until the establishment of Chinese communist rule, the spiritual and temporal ruler of Tibet.
- ‘During his visit to the U.S., the Dalai Lama met with the President.’
- ‘The Dalai Lama and a group of scientists set out to debate and answer this issue some time back.’
- ‘On its part, the western world was in so deep a spiritual quagmire that only a Dalai Lama could help it.’
- ‘Twenty years ago the Dalai Lama designated land here for the education of local children.’
- ‘The event, which will honour the Dalai Lama, Shirin Ebadi, Vaclav Havel, and Desmond Tutu, will take place at Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral on April 20.’
From Tibetan, literally ocean monk, so named because he is regarded as ‘the ocean of compassion’.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.