Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for digital video recorder
- ‘Do you still watch live TV, or do you store up all your favorite shows on a DVR and catch up with video on demand?’
- ‘As of this month, 45% of homes have DVRs, up from about 43% a year ago.’
- ‘The DVR will store that content for up to eight days after the shows have aired.’
- ‘It streams the shows recorded on my DVR, as well as On Demand movies right to my tablet.’
- ‘The DVR is compatible with both Mac and PC platforms as well as Android and iOS tablets and portable devices.’
- ‘New Nielsen data shows bigger jumps than ever for many sitcoms and dramas when delayed viewing on DVRs is factored in.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.