One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A designated hitter.
Act as a designated hitter.
- ‘With Wooten DHing on a regular basis, Gil should get more time at first.’
- ‘Sheffield, who has battled knee and hand injuries most of the year, drove in six runs the day after DHing, prompting manager Joe Torre to say he will use Sheffield at DH occasionally.’
- ‘The news pre-op seemed more likely that Williams would be in center and Giambi would be DHing; does that change anything?’
- ‘Like most regulars, Giambi dislikes DHing, and his productivity has traditionally suffered in the slot (200 OPS points lower from 2000-2002).’
- ‘And Nick Johnson's work with the glove will probably convince Giambi that the free agent should take up DHing after all.’
A person's husband (particularly used in online forums)‘my DH would be glad to retire and spend his days fishing’
- ‘DH is home sick so my routine is out the window.’
- ‘I was considering going running but since DH got home so late last night, I didn't want to run out first thing in the morning.’
- ‘DH doesn't smoke, never has and never will and all good luck to him.’
- ‘My DH and I have been fighting over this question for years: should we get a real Christmas tree or settle for a fake one?’
- ‘Thanks for the tip on the movie - DH and I were thinking of watching it.’
- ‘DH and I both have super sensitive skin, so we are sure the baby will too!’
- ‘Said DH has always had this habit of closing my drawers if they are open - he reckons he will walk into them if they are open.’
- ‘As I was sitting at an outdoor table enjoying my coffee and catching up on the week with DH, my cell phone rang.’
- ‘I came home to a lovely meal provided by my DH.’
- ‘My DH has just announced that one of his best mates is having his stag do in Thailand for a week later this year and he will be going.’
- ‘Unfortunately for ya'll my camera is not wanting to give up all the pictures I have taken this week, but never fear, my DH will fix it tonight or tomorrow.’
- ‘DH is out Christmas shopping for our cousins' kids and such ... I can't wait to see what he actually gets them.’
- ‘I had to get a new phone and the first phone DH chose for me (yes, I let him pick because at first I didn't really care what kind of phone I got) was the Verizon Voyager.’
- ‘I'm very stressed with dh's job situation, but know it will all work out.’
- ‘This is the debut offering of my very own DH's blog!’
- ‘Sorry, my laptop overheated and shut down so while it was cooling I made DH dinner.’
- ‘After eating at a very nice, expensive chain restaurant the other night, both DH and I came down with a very yucky, yet mild case of food poisoning.’
- ‘Out for date night with DH tonight - all I know is that it's both cheap and a surprise.’
- ‘DH is painting my kitchen today - woot!’
- ‘DH did grocery run tonight so I'm happy.’
1990s: abbreviation of darling husband or dear husband.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.