Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A new phylum that has been proposed for a minute marine invertebrate (Symbion pandora) that was discovered in 1995 attached to the mouthparts of lobsters. It is related to the phyla Bryozoa and Entoprocta.
- ‘The remaining members of this novel metazoan clade were Rotifera, Acanthocephala (together Syndermata), and Cycliophora.’
- ‘The marine Cycliophora is the most recently described phylum in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘Also unresolved are the phylogenetic positions of Cycloneuralia, Chaetognatha, Gnathostomulida, Cycliophora, and Micrognathozoa.’
- ‘The phylogenetic position of Cycliophora is not settled, and more ultrastructural and molecular data are needed.’
- ‘In the original description we stated that the Cycliophora are related to Entoprocta / Ectoprocta.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kuklios circular + pherein to bear.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.