Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A new phylum that has been proposed for a minute marine invertebrate ("Symbion pandora" ) that was discovered in 1995 attached to the mouthparts of lobsters. It is related to the phyla Bryozoa and Entoprocta.
- ‘The marine Cycliophora is the most recently described phylum in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘The remaining members of this novel metazoan clade were Rotifera, Acanthocephala (together Syndermata), and Cycliophora.’
- ‘The phylogenetic position of Cycliophora is not settled, and more ultrastructural and molecular data are needed.’
- ‘Also unresolved are the phylogenetic positions of Cycloneuralia, Chaetognatha, Gnathostomulida, Cycliophora, and Micrognathozoa.’
- ‘In the original description we stated that the Cycliophora are related to Entoprocta / Ectoprocta.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kuklios ‘circular’ + pherein ‘to bear’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.