Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A division of microorganisms that are related to the bacteria but are capable of photosynthesis. They are prokaryotic and represent the earliest known form of life on the earth.
- ‘The significant buildup probably began about two billion years ago, with the appearance of Cyanobacteria.’
- ‘Only Aquificales and Cyanobacteria do not present evidence of such a structuring, possibly because of a sampling effect, since only a few bacteria of these phyla have been presently sequenced.’
- ‘They occur only in Cyanobacteria and Rhodophyta.’
- ‘Click on the buttons below to find out more about the Cyanobacteria.’
- ‘That is, all Cyanobacteria and algal chloroplasts are, together, all of the descendants of some unique common ancestral cyanobacterium.’
- 1.1Microorganisms of the Cyanobacteria division; blue-green algae.‘cultures of algae and cyanobacteria’
- ‘Unlike any other flagellate algae, they contain phycobilins as accessory photosynthetic pigments, as do red algae and cyanobacteria.’
- ‘We conclude that there is no evidence available to support assignment of Halysis either to chlorophyte algae or to cyanobacteria.’
- ‘Most of the lichen is composed of fungal filaments, but living among the filaments are algal cells, usually from a green alga or a cyanobacterium.’
- ‘They have discovered cellulose biosynthesis in nine species of cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae.’
- ‘In Florida scrub, soil crusts include algae, cyanobacteria, and diatoms.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kuaneos dark blue + plural of bacterium.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.