One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metabolic disorder caused by overproduction of corticosteroid hormones by the adrenal cortex and often involving obesity and high blood pressure.
- ‘Urinary free cortisol measurements are often used as an initial inexpensive screening test for patients with clinical symptoms of Cushing's syndrome.’
- ‘Medical disorders such as Cushing's syndrome, hypothyroidism and hypogonadism rarely cause obesity.’
- ‘To determine whether an adrenal mass is functioning, the patient should be assessed for signs and symptoms of Cushing's syndrome, pheochromocytoma or hyperaldosteronism.’
- ‘This describes exactly the features of Cushing's syndrome, a condition caused by excess secretion of corticosteroids.’
- ‘Topical steroid products Contact eczema, bacterial and fungal infections, Cushing's syndrome, acne, skin atrophy and pigmentation disorders.’
- ‘Over 2 years, she developed features of Cushing's syndrome with proximal myopathy, osteopenia, hypertension, depressive psychosis, and cushingoid appearance.’
- ‘The consensus was that women who present with hyperandrogenism and chronic anovulation, in the absence of congenital adrenal disorders, Cushing's syndrome, hyperprolactinemia, or tumors should be diagnosed with PCOS.’
- ‘It may be caused, for instance, by a reaction to certain medications or by such medical conditions as sleep apnea, Cushing's syndrome, thyroid dysfunction, kidney disease or adrenal gland tumors.’
- ‘Rarely, micronodular or macronodular ACTH-independent adrenal hyperplasia can be the cause of Cushing's syndrome.’
- ‘Subjects with abdominal obesity share many of the hormonal, metabolic, and circulatory characteristics of people with Cushing's syndrome.’
- ‘We decided that she did not have any clinical evidence of Cushing's syndrome and that her failed dexamethasone suppression tests were due to the effect of carbamazepine inducing the metabolism of dexamethasone.’
- ‘However, medical therapy might be possible in certain patients, such as patients with Cushing's syndrome who are poor surgical candidates and patients with aldosterone-secreting tumors.’
- ‘It is useful to search for signs of hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome, although obesity is rarely the sole presentation of these conditions in adolescence.’
- ‘In a few of people, the underlying causes of the hypertension are known e.g. Cushing's syndrome, kidney disease or rarely, a tumour of the adrenaline-producing cells in the adrenal gland.’
- ‘He published 400 papers, many of major importance, on subjects as diverse as acromegaly, Cushing's syndrome, gigantism, the effects of prolonged fasting, diabetes, and the hormone aldosterone.’
- ‘In Cushing's syndrome, overproduction of cortisol (a hormone produced in the adrenal glands) causes osteoporosis;’
- ‘Both inhaled steroid medicines for asthma and steroid skin creams for eczema and other skin conditions can cause Cushing's syndrome, although this is rare.’
- ‘Occasionally, stretch marks can be a symptom of Cushing's syndrome, a condition caused by too many steroid hormones.’
- ‘It can also be used as a monthly birth control pill, as well as a treatment for breast and prostate cancer, meningioma, Cushing's syndrome and other conditions.’
- ‘If you often get skin infections or other infections, especially if the infections are unusual, you may have Cushing's syndrome or disease.’
1930s: named after Harvey W. Cushing (1869–1939), American surgeon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.