One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of enteroviruses which cause various respiratory, neurological, and muscular diseases in humans.
- ‘Hand, foot and mouth disease is a viral infection caused by a strain of Coxsackie virus.’
- ‘The virus implicated is thought to be a Coxsackie virus, which belongs to the family of enteroviruses.’
- ‘Other virus infections have also been implicated such as the Coxsackie virus, the Epstein-Barr virus, and others.’
- ‘The medical student learned about hand, foot and mouth disease, which is a benign illness caused by Coxsackie virus.’
- ‘In 1995 I was diagnosed with a Coxsackie virus which had apparently settled into my heart.’
1940s: named after Coxsackie, New York State, where the first cases were diagnosed.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.