One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of philosophical and ethical teachings founded by Confucius and developed by Mencius.
- ‘Confucianism blamed Taoist philosophy of escapism, while Taoism responded by deeming Confucianism as escapist from one's true nature.’
- ‘And that's the fundamental teaching of Confucianism, and that as I say, has had a very strong influence in Korea.’
- ‘Most Vietnamese practice the mutually compatible religions of Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism.’
- ‘There the number of converts from Confucianism and other Eastern religions to Christianity is growing rapidly, he explained.’
- ‘His personality cult has elements of animism, Confucianism and Christianity.’
- ‘A self-guiding tour includes three chapels for the religions of Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism.’
- ‘The idea came from Buddhism rather than Confucianism, but for Confucians it implied no other-worldly quietism.’
- ‘Koreans have traditionally combined elements from different belief systems, such as Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism.’
- ‘However, they have also been influenced by the three major religions of China: Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism.’
- ‘Although mainly a philosophy, Confucianism, the dominant ideology in feudal China, played practically a religious role in Chinese people's life.’
- ‘We have to substitute flexible Confucianism for orthodox Confucianism in order to cope with the rapidly changing global situation.’
- ‘Nothing I understood about Confucianism had anything to do with these rituals.’
- ‘So I looked at all Eastern philosophies, Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, and I found that Buddhism has a very strong element of that.’
- ‘For Chinese religions, the focus is again on unity and diversity, and on the religious nature of Confucianism.’
- ‘Buddhism became one of the three major religions of China, along with Taoism and Confucianism.’
- ‘In the spiritual traditions of China, Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism, practices and disciplines for refinement of the spirit are common.’
- ‘Some Confucianists asserted that Confucianism was anti-mercantile.’
- ‘Even the vaguest promises for an after-life are withheld by Confucianism, illustrating the rigorously secular orientation of this philosophy.’
- ‘They have taken their religious themes and imagery from Shamanism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism.’
- ‘We can admire the moral order of Confucianism, or the stress on harmony with nature in Taoism, or the resignation of the Stoics, and wonder about progress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.