One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of insects that comprises the beetles (including weevils), forming the largest order of animals on the earth.
- ‘The leaf mining habit is known to have evolved only in four extant orders of insects: the Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera and Lepidoptera.’
- ‘To date, 10 insect orders, Homoptera, Heteroptera, Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Diptera, Odonata, Isoptera, Orthoptera, and Dictyoptera, have been recorded to be hosts of Cordyceps species.’
- ‘In contrast, for most insect orders including the Coleoptera, none or only a few sequences have been described to date.’
- ‘Diets of little brown myotis and eastern pipistrelles were highly diverse, consuming an even proportion of six orders of insects including Coleoptera, Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Homoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Tricoptera.’
- ‘The most speciose insect orders like the Coleoptera, Diptera and Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies) tend to have small genome sizes with very few or no exceptions.’
- 1.1 Insects of the order Coleoptera; beetles.‘coleoptera are very sensitive to changes in wetness’
- ‘Interestingly, protuberances on the hairy pads of Coleoptera, Dermaptera, and Diptera belong to different types of cuticular outgrowths.’
- ‘The main predator taxa were spiders, coleoptera, centipedes, and ants.’
- ‘The common House Centipede, Scutigera coleoptera, shown in the image, belongs to this group.’
- ‘For example, the coleoptera Tenebrio molitor belongs to the holometabolous insects, a monophyletic group that includes Diptera and Lepidoptera.’
- ‘Abundance of Wilson's Warblers, however, was significantly positively correlated with number of Hymenoptera, Diptera, and Coleoptera captured on sticky traps, but unrelated to number of Homoptera captured.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek koleopteros, from koleos ‘sheath’ + pteron ‘wing’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.