Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of minute branchiopod crustaceans which includes the water fleas. They typically have a transparent shell enclosing the trunk, and large antennae which are used for swimming.
- ‘Daphnia are freshwater crustaceans in the order Cladocera that are known to have four expansion segments in the 18S rRNA gene.’
- ‘As a juvenile, Pomoxis nigromaculatus feeds mainly on microscopic prey such as Cyclops, Cladocera, and Daphnia.’
- ‘Salt-tolerant species within the chydorid Cladocera, as well as many freshwater Ostracoda and Chironomidae, push beyond this limit by means of hyper-osmotic regulation.’
- ‘Osmoregulation in Cladocera has been comprehensively reviewed by Aladin and Potts.’
- ‘In the chapter on the Cladocera, Smith does not address the much-discussed question of whether this Order really is a valid monophyletic group.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek klados branch or root + keras horn (because of the branched antennae).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.