Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of minute branchiopod crustaceans which includes the water fleas. They typically have a transparent shell enclosing the trunk, and large antennae which are used for swimming.
- ‘Salt-tolerant species within the chydorid Cladocera, as well as many freshwater Ostracoda and Chironomidae, push beyond this limit by means of hyper-osmotic regulation.’
- ‘In the chapter on the Cladocera, Smith does not address the much-discussed question of whether this Order really is a valid monophyletic group.’
- ‘Daphnia are freshwater crustaceans in the order Cladocera that are known to have four expansion segments in the 18S rRNA gene.’
- ‘As a juvenile, Pomoxis nigromaculatus feeds mainly on microscopic prey such as Cyclops, Cladocera, and Daphnia.’
- ‘Osmoregulation in Cladocera has been comprehensively reviewed by Aladin and Potts.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek klados ‘branch or root’ + keras ‘horn’ (because of the branched antennae).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.