Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An evergreen or artificial tree decorated with lights, tinsel, and other ornaments at Christmas.
- ‘People decorate houses with artificial Christmas trees, wear artificial hair, play games on artificial grass and build zoo cages with artificial rocks.’
- ‘For centuries the Christmas tree has been one of the most popular yuletide symbols and much has been written about it.’
- ‘Homes are decorated with greens but Christmas trees, stockings, special lights, Santa Claus, and mistletoe are missing.’
- ‘Hew home was so cosy and so artistically decorated for Christmas with decorations, lights, Christmas trees and Santa Claus.’
- ‘Santas, Christmas trees and fairy lights are just some of the decorations to see.’
- ‘His house is decorated with blinking lights, and a Christmas tree stands on the porch.’
- ‘Unlike ordinary pine trees, the Christmas trees are decorated with a shell made of dried vines, dark blue feathers swinging behind the shell.’
- ‘Christmas shoppers in Corsham have got an extra treat this year two Christmas trees and new lights in the High Street.’
- ‘There's some talk they can't even light their Christmas trees because of the power shortages as a result, many say, of the deregulation.’
- ‘They may offer you several varieties of evergreen boughs from leftover Christmas trees - quite possibly for free!’
- ‘Many houses throughout the parish were beautifully decorated with external lights and Christmas trees in Ballon Village added to the festive appearance.’
- ‘Decorating Christmas trees is also very popular.’
- ‘A large Christmas tree with large bulbous fairy lights had been placed on the village green.’
- ‘Seated on the stage of the Vatican's modern audience hall, between two decorated Christmas trees, the Pope was feted by bands and choirs singing carols from their native countries.’
- ‘The time of year had come for Christmas, and the school had already started to put up decorations, started getting Christmas trees and putting lights and things on them.’
- ‘Of course, before there was electricity, Christmas trees were decorated with candles, but there were also more house fires back then.’
- ‘As they went down to the living room, it looked beautiful with the Christmas tree fully decorated and lights hung on it.’
- ‘The colors of green and red decorate many cities, complementing the glittering gold and silver tinsel decorations that adorn Christmas trees.’
- ‘Also, lights on Christmas trees can be hazardous if the needles on the tree dry out to much causing them to ignite.’
- ‘Montgomery also will put up as many as six Christmas trees and decorate them with bows, ornaments and small photo frames.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.