One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen or artificial tree decorated with lights, tinsel, and other ornaments at Christmas.
- ‘As they went down to the living room, it looked beautiful with the Christmas tree fully decorated and lights hung on it.’
- ‘People decorate houses with artificial Christmas trees, wear artificial hair, play games on artificial grass and build zoo cages with artificial rocks.’
- ‘A large Christmas tree with large bulbous fairy lights had been placed on the village green.’
- ‘Seated on the stage of the Vatican's modern audience hall, between two decorated Christmas trees, the Pope was feted by bands and choirs singing carols from their native countries.’
- ‘His house is decorated with blinking lights, and a Christmas tree stands on the porch.’
- ‘Decorating Christmas trees is also very popular.’
- ‘Many houses throughout the parish were beautifully decorated with external lights and Christmas trees in Ballon Village added to the festive appearance.’
- ‘The colors of green and red decorate many cities, complementing the glittering gold and silver tinsel decorations that adorn Christmas trees.’
- ‘Santas, Christmas trees and fairy lights are just some of the decorations to see.’
- ‘Unlike ordinary pine trees, the Christmas trees are decorated with a shell made of dried vines, dark blue feathers swinging behind the shell.’
- ‘Hew home was so cosy and so artistically decorated for Christmas with decorations, lights, Christmas trees and Santa Claus.’
- ‘For centuries the Christmas tree has been one of the most popular yuletide symbols and much has been written about it.’
- ‘Also, lights on Christmas trees can be hazardous if the needles on the tree dry out to much causing them to ignite.’
- ‘There's some talk they can't even light their Christmas trees because of the power shortages as a result, many say, of the deregulation.’
- ‘Christmas shoppers in Corsham have got an extra treat this year two Christmas trees and new lights in the High Street.’
- ‘Of course, before there was electricity, Christmas trees were decorated with candles, but there were also more house fires back then.’
- ‘They may offer you several varieties of evergreen boughs from leftover Christmas trees - quite possibly for free!’
- ‘Homes are decorated with greens but Christmas trees, stockings, special lights, Santa Claus, and mistletoe are missing.’
- ‘Montgomery also will put up as many as six Christmas trees and decorate them with bows, ornaments and small photo frames.’
- ‘The time of year had come for Christmas, and the school had already started to put up decorations, started getting Christmas trees and putting lights and things on them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.