One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A South American cactus with flattened segmented stems and red, pink, or white flowers, grown as a houseplant.
- ‘While poinsettia is the most popular, a Christmas cactus in full bloom is a great gift and easy to care for once the flowers have faded.’
- ‘The best flowers to give at Christmas time are orchids, holly, poinsettias, and the Christmas cactus as well as any red flower.’
- ‘You'll be glad to hear that my Christmas cacti are now dripping with pink buds and the geraniums on my frost-free balcony continue to bloom spectacularly.’
- ‘And remember to get your poinsettias and your Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti ready for well-timed holiday color.’
- ‘Every fall, my Christmas cactus displays a spectacular profusion of blooms on a covered patio in San Mateo, California.’
So named because it flowers at about the northern midwinter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.