One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of South African or Australian cicadas or beetles that are abundant or noticeable during the summer.
- ‘I grew up in Melbourne in the 60s and 70s where Christmas beetles were iridescent.’
- ‘The beetle pictured above is known as a Christmas beetle and would be familiar to many.’
- ‘There are 35 species of Christmas beetles right across Australia, but most prefer the moister east and south easterly areas, especially near the coast.’
- ‘The life cycle of a Christmas beetle is from one to two years.’
- ‘They are both Coleopterans, one is a Christmas beetle and one is a Mealworm beetle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.