Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of South African or Australian cicadas or beetles that are abundant or noticeable during the summer.
- ‘There are 35 species of Christmas beetles right across Australia, but most prefer the moister east and south easterly areas, especially near the coast.’
- ‘I grew up in Melbourne in the 60s and 70s where Christmas beetles were iridescent.’
- ‘The beetle pictured above is known as a Christmas beetle and would be familiar to many.’
- ‘The life cycle of a Christmas beetle is from one to two years.’
- ‘They are both Coleopterans, one is a Christmas beetle and one is a Mealworm beetle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.