One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large slender spotted cat found in Africa and parts of Asia. It is the fastest animal on land.
Acinonyx jubatus, family Felidae
- ‘First, I tested whether cheetahs avoid hyenas and lions.’
- ‘With the grace of a snake and the speed of a cheetah, it snatches the rodent in its teeth and yanks it into the burrow.’
- ‘Impalas normally stay in small herds for protection from lions, cheetahs and other enemies.’
- ‘But changing human attitudes toward cheetahs is only part of the battle to save Earth's fastest land mammal.’
- ‘Fleet-footed animals, such as gazelles and cheetahs, aren't the only livings things that rely on speed for their survival.’
- ‘An innovative program that provides guard dogs to livestock farmers at a modest cost may be helping to save wild cheetahs in southern Africa.’
- ‘The dogs, Anatolian shepherds, live with the livestock on the range and protect them from cheetahs and leopards.’
- ‘The White Oak plantation in the north of the state is a 7,500 acre area of conservation where rhinos, cheetahs, zebras and giraffes roam freely.’
- ‘I don't rightly know how these panthers and cheetahs and tigers came to inhabit the park in the first place.’
- ‘In a single morning you can see lion, leopard, cheetah, wild dog and unlimited plains game.’
- ‘Some of the animals highlighted in the photographs include lions, cheetahs, rhinos, hippos, giraffes and chimpanzees.’
- ‘At Australia Zoo, we're getting two male cheetahs from Africa and two females cheetahs from another zoo in Australia.’
- ‘Here, in open vehicles, accompanied by rangers and trackers, you are virtually guaranteed close-ups of lions, leopards and cheetahs, and possibly even wild dogs.’
- ‘I worked with the big cats, lions, cheetahs, and eventually the tigers.’
- ‘By day, follow expert Masai guides on foot to spot lions, cheetahs, and wildebeests without disturbing their habitats.’
- ‘The East is the nesting place of the eagle and hawk, but also the home of mountain sheep and African cheetahs.’
- ‘Lions, leopards and cheetahs catch and eat their own dinner.’
- ‘Unlike the males, which move about in bachelor groups of two or three and who like to hunt together, female cheetahs move about and hunt singly.’
- ‘Ancestors of cheetahs and lions and elephants existed in North America some 13,000 years ago.’
- ‘He even studied the running form of fast animals, including cheetahs and greyhounds.’
Late 18th century: from Hindi cītā, perhaps from Sanskrit citraka ‘leopard’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.