Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A variety of white wine grape used for making champagne and other wines.
- ‘It also does well with most of the other familiar grape varieties, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Riesling.’
- ‘Before the Chardonnay boom, Chenin Blanc was the West's most-planted white grape.’
- ‘The common stars of cool-weather climates are Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and the Santa Cruz Mountains do them proud.’
- ‘Today, the Santa Ynez Valley produces a diverse range of superb varietal wines, including Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah.’
- ‘Ever the scientist, Magoon discovered that the soil was perfect for Bordeaux varietals such as Chardonnay and Petite Syrah.’
- ‘Beaune Main town in the southern half of Burgundy, noted for fine white and red wines made, respectively, from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.’
- ‘You don't see enough organic wines on restaurant lists, so this Catalan blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay is a real find.’
- ‘In 1974, he planted famous varietals like Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.’
- ‘The Brights made their name in Portugal by producing top-notch wines from the country's indigenous grapes rather than from the popular Chardonnay and Cabernet.’
- ‘Its fresh, sparkling flavour is distinguished by a unique blend of excellent wines from classic grape varieties such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin.’
- ‘They are often made from one variety of grapes, such as Cabernet, Merlot, or Chardonnay.’
- ‘The area is now home to a range of varietals, from ever-popular Chardonnay and Merlot to less-common grapes like Sangiovese.’
- ‘I reckon a quarter of all white wine is made from Chardonnay these days, or says it is on the label.’
- ‘Important grapes grown here are Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Muscat, and Sémillon.’
- ‘The varieties planted were Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer and Rhine Riesling.’
- ‘Although Rieslings are a consistently good bet, you will also see ice wines made from Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, and Pinot Blanc.’
- ‘We learnt that the two were made from the same variety of grapes called Chardonnay.’
- ‘They cover all the main grape varieties, including Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.’
- ‘The most prominent white varieties grown are Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.’
- 1.1A wine made from the Chardonnay grape.
- ‘There's no doubt the very best Chardonnays come from Burgundy, so it's not surprising that regions like Sonoma, trying to compete, will mimic its fermentation and maturation techniques to try and achieve a similar taste profile.’
- ‘I regularly taste Chardonnays ten times the price of this wine that aren't anyway near as good.’
- ‘The latter, closer to the Pacific Ocean, is home to excellent Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays.’
- ‘As the pasta is quite heavy, try one of the more crisp Chardonnays.’
- ‘Other wines include Merlot, Cabernet and a late harvest Chardonnay.’
- ‘It's a crisp and fruity wine that, like most affordable Chardonnays, is best served chilled.’
- ‘Among the whites, Chardonnay is the big success story.’
- ‘On tour around the country, we had cause to sample Chardonnay, Muscat, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot from this producer and we enjoyed them all.’
- ‘Those tired of drinking Chardonnay or Merlot should try a tasting to explore other varietals.’
- ‘As for white wines, they produce big, buttery Chardonnays that have lots of oak.’
- ‘They also do Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir, plus a Champagne style sparkler.’
- ‘Although best known for Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, and Pinotage, Stellenbosch produces a host of wine types including port style wines and some excellent Chardonnays and Sauvignon Blancs.’
- ‘Among white wines, Chardonnay stands up better to being boxed than most grape varieties.’
- ‘A few years ago, restaurants only had a choice of white or red, Chardonnay or Merlot.’
- ‘But as more wineries and tasting rooms open here, there's more opportunity to sample locally produced Chardonnays, Pinot Noirs, Pinot Blancs, and Cabernet Sauvignons.’
- ‘Sauvignon Blancs and Chardonnays are also held in high regard, and Riesling, Gewurztraminer, and Pinot Gris do well.’
- ‘Among Californian wines there are good Chardonnay, Merlot, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir.’
- ‘The most internationally recognized wines from California are however, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.’
- ‘With its lingering aromas of peach, apricot and delicate floral notes, Viognier seemed primed to lead the revolution against overbearing Chardonnays.’
- ‘The tiny winery specializes in rich, complex Chardonnays - approximately 11 from different vineyards.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.