Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Sweetened or flavoured whipped cream.
- ‘And the warm sweet-potato pie with Chantilly cream is sublime.’
- ‘The curd is more lemony than a lemon drop and therefore the Chantilly cream is the perfect topping.’
- ‘With your spatula, spread the Chantilly cream on top of the cake in a circular motion until it is flat and smooth.’
- ‘The Chantilly cream can now be smoothed or piped over the topping of the pie.’
- ‘All these come with aerosol Chantilly cream, a French quirk.’
Mid 19th century: named after Chantilly, a town near Paris, where it originated.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.