One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Electromagnetic radiation emitted by particles moving in a medium at speeds faster than that of light in the same medium.
- ‘To clarify your question a little, only electrically charged particles emit Cerenkov radiation.’
- ‘Neutrinos bouncing off of electrons would also produce Cherenkov radiation at lower energies, so Koshiba modified the design.’
- ‘This leads to some very interesting consequences, such as the reversal of the Doppler shift for radiation, and the reversal of Cherenkov radiation.’
- ‘By accurately reconstructing a muon's track from the arrival times of its Cerenkov radiation at several modules, the neutrino that created it can be traced back to its area of origin.’
- ‘When neutrinos passing through the heavy water interact with deuterium nuclei, flashes of light, called Cerenkov radiation, are emitted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.