Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or denoting the main style of classical music in southern India, as distinct from the Hindustani music of the north.‘Carnatic music’
- ‘Saturday's programme will begin with a Carnatic music concert by Vijaylakshmy Subramanium.’
- ‘An Indonesian dancer created his own movements to a song in Carnatic music.’
- ‘Ramadass is one of few musicians who have adapted the harmonium to Carnatic music.’
- ‘Kuppusamy mixed Carnatic with folk music and simultaneously explained how ragas should be handled in the latter.’
- ‘A stickler for classicism, he does not want to dilute Carnatic music.’
- ‘Connoisseurs of both Hindustani and Carnatic music will definitely have a lot to look forward to this October.’
- ‘By linking film music with Carnatic she tries to make laymen understand the importance of Carnatic music.’
- ‘Maruthi plays the tabla and the mridangam and also plays Carnatic music on a keyboard.’
- ‘The Navarthri Mandapam has the distinction of staging Carnatic music concerts in a unique manner.’
- ‘Hindustani and Carnatic were the main divisions of classical music that could lead people to devotion.’
- ‘He told them about the vast range of Carnatic music and how the ragas are classified under this system.’
- ‘In many films he has demonstrated his skill over Carnatic music, handling some difficult ragas.’
- ‘The ghatam is a large clay pot, used in Carnatic classical music as a percussion instrument.’
- ‘I found my feet dancing to the lilting ragas of Carnatic classical music.’
- ‘Strains of Carnatic classical music can be heard from almost every other home in Chennai city.’
- ‘Shashank appreciated the all-night Carnatic music concerts being held in Bangalore since last year.’
- ‘There are two basic styles of Indian music, the Carnatic and the Hindustani.’
- ‘The musically inclined can look forward to an array of Carnatic music concerts, flute recital and a grand violin concert.’
- ‘The maestro is known for casting a spell on his audience with his soul-stirring rendition of Carnatic music.’
- ‘Led by Seema Murthy, the singers sang a wide selection of songs from Carnatic classical to Hindustani classical music.’
Anglicization of Karnataka in SW India.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.