Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the Bible) the eldest son of Adam and Eve and murderer of his brother Abel.
- see Cain
Create trouble or a commotion.‘he was raising Cain with narrow-minded conservation groups’
cause a disturbance, cause a commotion, be loud and noisy, run riot, run wild, behave wildly, go on the rampage, get out of controlView synonyms
- ‘Maybe it's a constructive way of raising Cain in the community.’
- ‘If Pete can't be like Dick, then he must be a wild-eyed guy who's always raising Cain on and off the lanes.’
- ‘I was all set to tell him that I wasn't Jordan when he gave me a huge hug and started running off at how long it had been and how he missed me running all around the building raising Cain.’
- ‘The residents raised Cain about the police and said they didn't want to lose their identity.’
- ‘You don't realize anything, how much you've changed or how it raises Cain every time you smile.’
- ‘In fact, on the day the Bill was introduced in Parliament, people from all over the country gathered in Delhi and raised Cain.’
- ‘To the rescue comes the a massive refrain - synths blaring, vocals straining, and drums raising Cain.’
- ‘The object was to place a short, light, silenced bolt-action carbine in the hands of the British special operations troops who were probing and raising Cain up and down the French coast in advance of the Allied landings.’
- ‘As Freud rightly taught, it takes only three parties - a man, a woman and a child - to create the conditions for enmity in the world, and the introduction of a fourth, as scripture tells us, raises Cain.’
- ‘Well, here comes a man up and raising Cain and the other volunteer told him they were out in the trash.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.