One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The upper front part of the right ventricle of the heart.
- ‘Since the aorta and the pulmonary artery develop from a common conus arteriosus, irregular and imperfect development of the septum between them may also produce variations.’
- ‘A conus artery arising from the aorta was found in 50% of 651 subjects.’
- ‘The heart appears to be the most primitive of all adult vertebrates, with the auricle, ventricle and conus arteriosus arranged in straight line, rather than being doubled over one another.’
2The conical lower extremity of the spinal cord.
- ‘The spinal cord tapers caudally to become the conus medullaris.’
- ‘A spinal ultrasound from the second day of life (not provided) showed the spinal cord conus to be normally positioned at L1.’
- ‘An MRI (not shown) showed the conus medullaris to be at L1 - L2, and the sacrum to be dysplastic.’
Late 19th century: from Latin, literally ‘cone’.
The 48 contiguous states in the United States (that is, all the states except Alaska and Hawaii).
Acronym, from con tiguous U nited S tates.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.