One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A widespread Asian religion or philosophy, founded by Siddartha Gautama in north-eastern India in the 5th century BC.
- ‘Place this religious psychology alongside Buddhism, with its fleeing of the world.’
- ‘So we were very eager to practice Buddhism in such a way that we could bring it into society.’
- ‘Zen is the common name for this branch of Buddhism in Japanese as well as in English.’
- ‘Much of Kendo's philosophy is drawn from Zen and from Buddhism and from Shintoism.’
- ‘This awakening is the crucial watershed in the Buddha's life and the key reference point for Buddhism.’
- ‘For about a millennium after the death of the Buddha, Buddhism flourished in India.’
- ‘Depending on the sect of Buddhism, the word bodhisattva has essentially two meanings.’
- ‘She wrote about her adventures and what she learned about Buddhism and the mysteries of Tibet.’
- ‘The practice of Dharma refers to following Buddhism's Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.’
- ‘My own interest has been in the actual practice of Buddhism in Buddhist lands today.’
- ‘This all changed when Hsiao gained a spiritual interest in Buddhism a decade ago.’
- ‘The Qianlong Emperor surpassed his predecessors as a patron of Buddhism and Buddhist art.’
- ‘The study of Buddhism over the past century or so has resembled the encounter of the blind men and the elephant in many ways.’
- ‘The goal of Buddhism is nirvana, a transcendence of the confines of mind and body.’
- ‘Falun Gong is a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism and meditation and breathing exercises.’
- ‘This seems to be the point of convergence between Christianity and Buddhism.’
- ‘He sees this balance most clearly in the Eastern religions, particularly Buddhism and Hinduism.’
- ‘Since its beginnings, the Hindu religion in Bali has been closely related to Buddhism.’
- ‘Ergo, Buddhism would have a western flavour in the west while keeping to the teachings of the Buddha.’
- ‘Although Buddhism originated in India it now flourishes predominantly in other parts of Asia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.