One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The second month of the French Republican calendar (1793–1805), originally running from 22 October to 20 November.
- ‘Marx also wrote in The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte.’
- ‘It ended with Napoleon's coup d'état on 18 Brumaire.’
- ‘Time itself was changed and months from the revolutionary calendar, denoting crucial events in Thermidor or Brumaire, were also added to the lexicon.’
- ‘With the coup d'état of the 18th Brumaire 1799, which brought Bonaparte to power, Paine was again under suspicion.’
- ‘The pretext for the Brumaire coup had been the prevention of a Jacobin plot, and in the course of it 62 left-wing deputies were excluded from the national representation.’
French, from brume ‘mist’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.