Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] British pop music of the mid 1990s that was typically influenced by the Beatles and other British groups of the 1960s and perceived as a reaction against American grunge music.[as modifier] ‘Britpop bands’
- ‘No, he just has to perpetuate that pathetic myth that Britpop was some kind of idyllic golden age for British music.’
- ‘The Super Furry Animals emerged as a breath of fresh air in 1995, just as Britpop was gasping its last.’
- ‘As with Britpop and Grunge in years past and now with Garage Punk Rock and Nu Metal, a new fad will appear.’
- ‘The most interesting figures in any movement are often the ones who turn up on the fringes, and Britpop was no exception.’
- ‘The last time the pop scene felt this fun was in the mid-Nineties, with Britpop, when rockers acted like pop kids and vice versa.’
- ‘James was the band's party-glamour-boy in Britpop's heyday.’
- ‘Regardless, this album showcases one of the most promising vocal talents in (dare I say it) Britpop today.’
- ‘She has a good voice, but Keys is an exponent of nu-soul, urban music's equivalent of Britpop.’
- ‘Certain years can be pinpointed as the birth of dance music, the death of grunge or the year that Britpop broke.’
- ‘Blur rebounded from a grim American trek by inventing Britpop on Modern Life Is Rubbish.’
- ‘They boast a wide repertoire from Bob Dylan to John Lennon to more recent Britpop such as The Verve, Oasis and Radiohead.’
- ‘We travel to America with Blur, Britpop's finest, bloodied but unbowed.’
- ‘Singer Rupert Browne spent his teens in London, witnessing first hand the peak years of Britpop, drum'n'bass and techno.’
- ‘The roots of this band stretch deep into the soil of Britpop and indie rock as we now know it.’
- ‘Let's remember them now, as we salute the decade of grunge, superclubs and Britpop.’
- ‘It is a lively hybrid of Britpop and Indie Rock that contains many arresting tunes.’
- ‘As someone widely credited with being a major influence on Britpop, Andy had it right.’
- ‘That'll soon change if she keeps listening to Britpop's answer to Leonard Cohen.’
- ‘Being Britpop's longest-running band, it's a shame James doesn't get more respect.’
- ‘The 1990s brought a trend, especially in dance music and Britpop, for all kinds of ‘old technology’.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.