One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1variant spelling of Brahman (sense 1)
2US A socially or culturally superior person, especially one from New England.‘he did not talk like the son of a New England Brahmin’as modifier ‘a verbal style filched from one of her Brahmin bosses’
intelligent person, learned person, highbrow, academic, bookworm, bookish person, man of letters, woman of letters, bluestocking, thinker, brain, scholar, sageView synonyms
- ‘Evans' commitment to Sacco and Vanzetti may be seen as the culmination of her evolution from Brahmin matron to social activist; however, the case had more complex implications for Evans.’
- ‘Is the New Yorker part of the old pre-Roosevelt world of Brahmins and mavens?’
- ‘For me, it's the voice of the New England intellectual Brahmin (despite the fact that Carter was born in New York): patrician, witty, a pilgrim in the land of ideas.’
3An ox of a humped breed originally domesticated in India, which is tolerant of heat and drought and is now kept widely in tropical and warm-temperate countries.
Bos indicus, family Bovidae; now usually included under the name B. taurus with other domestic cattleAlso called zebu
- ‘Based on these results, reasonably, B. indiens x B. taurus females would also express some tolerance to mosquitoes similar to that observed for the Brahman x Hereford steers.’
- ‘A Florida rotational crossbreeding study involving the Angus, Brahman, and Hereford breeds revealed that calf survival rates were similar for the three sire breeds.’
- ‘The drovers are off to bring in the Brahmans, Droughtmasters, Angus and Shorthorns.’
- ‘It was recognised as a species of wild cattle and the likely ancestor of the Brahman cattle, which had been domesticated in the region ages ago.’
- ‘Four Brahman and four Angus sires were rotated among breeding pastures in both forage systems each year to prevent confounding of sire and forage system effects.’
- ‘Santa Gertrudis, rather than Brahmans, are bred on Caldervale, a 380,000 acre central Queensland brigalow block near Tambo, and are grown out early on Colonial's two NSW properties near Tamworth and Moree.’
- ‘In this paddock west of Brisbane, at the Gatton campus of the University of Queensland, are the Brahman cross breed of cattle that you see throughout the tropics.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.