Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chocolate sponge having layers of morello cherries or cherry jam and whipped cream and topped with chocolate icing.
- ‘A refrigerated cabinet in one corner holds desserts, with items like Black Forest cakes on display on our evening.’
- ‘The birthday table next to us ordered just one candle-decorated slice of Black Forest gateau to share amongst everyone, it seemed.’
- ‘We finished with some Black Forest cake, which is made by Pet herself, as is the German bread that was served with the goulash.’
- ‘Alicia ordered a pot of tea and a slice of Black Forest cake.’
- ‘When I ordered the Black Forest gateau, the waiter had to tell me that it was ‘very, very’ sweet, in case it was too extreme for my taste.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.