Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A novel dealing with one person's formative years or spiritual education.‘the book is a bildungsroman of sorts, as Tull overcomes his abused childhood and learns about love’
- ‘For instance, he discusses Goethe's Wilhelm Meister as a Bildungsroman in The Dialogic Imagination.’
- ‘Another problem with the text is Stover's desire to locate the four primary works in the literary tradition of the Bildungsroman.’
- ‘E. L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate is a Bildungsroman which shares many central characteristics with Updike's novel and Roth's.’
- ‘Do genres have typical scripts, such as rescue for the adventure novel, or going to school for the Bildungsroman, or seduction for the romance?’
- ‘The first half of the novel is certainly indebted to the Bildungsroman.’
- ‘Their Bildungsromane do not conclude with a state of epiphany, but, like their lives, are choppy, episodic, and nightmarish.’
- ‘Is there a Jewish sub-category of the Bildungsroman, the personal saga of childish wonderment metamorphosing into an adult point of view if not complete comprehension?’
- ‘Yet its sum is not a Bildungsroman of the author, whose personality is rarely front-lit, but the re-creation of an astonishing universe, the Caribbean coastlands of Colombia in the first half of the last century.’
- ‘The tendency of novel theory to define the novel as a genre that is sui generis does lead to certain impasses and quandaries, whether in the theory of the novel as such or of a subgenre like the Bildungsroman.’
- ‘The aim of a Bildungsroman is apprenticeship, where the protagonist, usually a juvenile, must ‘come of age’ by preparing to mature.’
- ‘There is no doubt this is a moral tale, a Bildungsroman for the senior citizen.’
- ‘Boesenberg establishes the validity of the concept of the Bildungsroman, in which ‘art holds the promise of unique satisfaction for the protagonist.’’
- ‘As a failed Bildungsroman in which Bob's inexorable trajectory thwarts his plans and sends him to a possible death, If He Hollers Lets Him Go can be considered a variation of the fugitive migrant novel.’
- ‘In the Chicano Bildungsroman, however, a return to the ‘family’ serves as a vehicle of opposition to larger societal forces for the Chicano protagonist.’
- ‘Jane Eyre is a Bildungsroman, or a coming-of-age novel, which recounts the first nineteen years of the character of Jane Eyre, in the first-person voice.’
- ‘There is obviously little need to consider Célanire's wanderings as belonging to the repertoire of absurd non-quests, let alone the seasoned Bildungsroman.’
- ‘Natasha is essentially a Bildungsroman for Mark written over several short stories; he doesn't necessarily grow wiser, just more assimilated.’
- ‘Part comedy of manners, part Bildungsroman, part earnest social critique, the novel recounts the downfall of Sir Matthew Dowling, the education of Miss Mary Brotherton and the miraculous survival of Michael Armstrong.’
- ‘Hughbury Shamp, a teenager with a yen for fame - note: all three novels are Bildungsromane - follows three masters whom he introduces at the beginning of his first-person account, an echo of Marcus Aurelius starting his meditations.’
- ‘A Bildungsroman of sorts, it charts the formative years of Dylan Ebdus, a Jewish boy growing up in Brooklyn in the 1970s.’
German, from Bildung education + Roman a novel.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.