One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Worsted embroidery on canvas.
- ‘Berlin work, starting approximately in the 1850s, became extremely popular in the 1870s, when a colorful graph was all that was needed to create a picture, and less creativity is in evidence since then.’
- ‘The Berlin work sampler in Plate X is signed in cross stitch, ‘Adele Latimore St. Benedict.’’
- ‘Her daughter was probably Sarah, who worked the large Berlin work picture of the young Saint John holding a lamb shown in Plate VII.’
- ‘And needlework did respond to fashion, hitting low points, such as the Victorian ‘Berlin work ‘craze.’’
- ‘She has noted, ‘from 1830 to 1870 Berlin work eclipsed practically all other types of needlework.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.