Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The Bengali language.
- ‘In addition to Bangla, Red Hat is working on localization of other Indian languages including Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi and Tamil.’
- ‘Sujit Mukherjee's first language was Bangla, but he wrote English like a master.’
- ‘Bengali, or Bangla, is the country's official language.’
- ‘As Tilottoma Misra suggests, in Assam the Asamiya language was restored to its rightful place in schools by the missionaries though the British administration had replaced the language with Bangla.’
- ‘The primary language is Bangla, called Bengali by most nonnatives, an Indo-European language spoken not just by Bangladeshis, but also by people who are culturally Bengali.’
- ‘And meeting Baby at the launch of the English translation of her book (originally in Bangla, called Aalo Aandhari, or From Darkness to Light), I saw what a delight she is.’
- ‘Bengali, or Bangla, is the language spoken by most of the people of Bangladesh as well as those in the Indian states of Bengal and parts of Assam.’
- ‘But the East Pakistanis fought for keeping their language Bangla as a second state language, and gave their lives in 1952 in the process.’
- ‘The movement for Bangla as the national language gained momentum from this day.’
- ‘When Bangladesh was under Pakistan rule, there was one such horrible plan by the government to use Arabic scripture to write Bangla.’
- ‘A great many Persian words entered Bangla language and literature, into official documents and the idiom of court circles.’
- ‘Michael Madhusudan and Romeshchandra Dutt were major writers in Bangla, apart from being minor poets in English.’
- ‘We collected data with a standard questionnaire designed in English and subsequently translated into Bangla.’
- ‘Bangla doesn't have a prize for works translated into Bangla.’
- ‘I often hear someone talk in Bangla, or Gujarati or Punjabi or Hindi.’
- ‘I started with the English language papers, as I would need help with the Bangla ones (though my spoken Bangla is good, my reading and writing skills are almost non-existent).’
- ‘The speech writer forgot that Bangla is one of the subcontinent's developed languages, and is extremely rich in literature.’
- ‘Zee Network has already forayed into regional language channels under the brand name of ‘Alpha’ with channels in Marathi, Gujrati, Punjabi and Bangla.’
- ‘Bangla was the language of the majority, and the movement for Bangla as the national language gained momentum from this day.’
- ‘Thus, Sanskrit loomed loftily as the classical language, and other Indian languages such as Tamil (which itself has a classical status), and Bangla were reduced to mere vernacular status.’
- ‘I know we will come out of this phase because we have also set up a production line in audiocassettes of Bangla songs, which belong to different genres of music.’
- ‘‘And since this will be our first attempt at a Bangla album, we are quite upbeat about it,’ he says.’
- ‘Over 1,200 persons including nine Trinamool Congress MLAs, were arrested in connection with the 12-hour Bangla bandh today.’
- ‘On April 15, those wanting a taste of good Bangla khabar will be spoilt for choice.’
- ‘Bhangra and Bangla music and the experiences of Asian sons and daughters are used to build a picture of a defiant popular culture.’
- ‘It was but natural that the Bangla team lost all its outings in the 8-team event.’
- ‘The Iranian language, i.e. Persian, was the official language of Bengal throughout the Muslim Period and Persian literature enormously influenced Bangla literature.’
- ‘A good number of police officers continuously patrol the Bangla strip at night, offering a sense of security sometimes lacking in Pattaya.’
- ‘Kolkata has a healthy history of local rock music groups doing both Bangla and English rock.’
- ‘The activists threatened to ransack the shop if he failed to put up a Bangla signboard in three days.’
From Bengali bāṅglā.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.