Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A baked open pie consisting of a pastry case lined with jam and filled with almond sponge cake.[mass noun] ‘the recipe for Bakewell tart’
- ‘The Bakewell tart is known to all right-thinking people as the Bakewell tart.’
- ‘For the longest time I have been lusting after a slice of Bakewell tart.’
- ‘In Britain we pound them into marzipan and flavour Bakewell tart with their essence.’
- ‘It is also used as an ingredient in baking, for instance: spread between layers of cake; used as a glaze on open fruit tarts; as a filling in jam tarts and doughnuts; and as a layer in some puddings, for instance, Bakewell tart.’
- ‘The dinner menu will perhaps offer dry-aged Scottish sirloin steak with roast potatoes, followed by Bakewell tart and Devon cream.’
- ‘Legend has it that the original Bakewell tart was the result of a mistake made by the cook at the Rutland Arms in Bakewell.’
- ‘Dishes ranged from the traditional such as Bakewell tart with custard and sticky toffee pudding to the more unusual such as chocolate brandy cake and banoffi liqueur meringue.’
- ‘Bakewell tart is a classic dish to serve at a formal tea.’
- ‘I make the best Bakewell tart in Hale, Cheshire.’
- ‘Christmas pudding only managed 13 th place but was still ahead of rivals such as spotted dick in 15th, Bakewell tart in 19th and summer pudding in 21st and last place.’
- ‘E and I are going in the car and straight to the Bakewell tart and antique shops.’
- ‘Its a nice little village, nowhere near as exciting as Matlock Bath, but its home of Bakewell tarts and puddings, and the worlds nicest Carrot cake.’
- ‘A spiced apple pie for me, and a Bakewell tart with apricots for Gina.’
- ‘The Bakewell tart is part of the heritage of England.’
- ‘Now is the time to dig out classic recipes for forgotten puddings such as treacle tart, Eve's pudding, lemon Meringue pie and Bakewell tart.’
- ‘Sally Lunn's buns are perhaps not as well known as Bakewell tart, Richmond maids of honour and Eccles cakes but that is because they never appear outside their home town.’
- ‘Mix rhubarb puree with raspberries instead of jam in a hot Bakewell tart.’
Named after the town of Bakewell in Derbyshire.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.