Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of remote elliptical galaxy with a very compact starlike nucleus, remarkable for its considerable short-term variations in brightness and radio emissions.
- ‘However, BL Lac objects are the active cores of elliptical galaxies.’
- ‘Active elliptical galaxies are called BL Lac objects if their jets are viewed end-on; they look very different, having giant radio lobes, if their jets are viewed from the side.’
- ‘The bright reddish object to the lower left of the center is a BL Lac object at the center of a cluster of galaxies.’
- ‘A number of BL Lac objects are known in the vicinity of clusters of galaxies so this provides indirect evidence in support of their extragalactic nature.’
- ‘This result supports the interpretation of H2155 304 as a highly luminous BL Lac object.’
BL Lac, short for BL Lacertae, the designation of the first such object discovered (originally thought to be a variable star).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.