One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blind made from ruched fabric, which extends about a third of the way down a window.
screen, shade, louvre, awning, canopy, sunshade, curtain, shutter, cover, covering, protectionView synonyms
- ‘The style of the Austrian blinds is cloudlike with its puffy, billowy look.’
- ‘An Austrian blind, such as that in the photo to the right, can be raised and lowered using a pull-cord.’
- ‘They are softer than Roman blinds but more tailored than Austrian blinds with the fullness coming from inverted pleats.’
- ‘The Austrian blinds are the most decorative of the three styles.’
- ‘The Austrian blind uses much more material, so that even when the shade is lowered to cover the window, there are scalloped folds covering the full length of the blind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.