Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An American who is of Asian (chiefly East Asian) descent.
- ‘The ethnic heritages of European Americans, Asian Americans, and African Americans are totally different.’
- ‘American Buddhism, in particular, is growing among both Asian Americans as well as the general American population.’
- ‘African Americans, Asian Americans, and Hispanics have a disproportionate burden for cancer deaths compared to the white population.’
- ‘In a decade, the program has provided 60 Blacks, Latinos, American Indians and Asian Americans with teaching degrees.’
- ‘In fact, the best way for non-Asian American candidates and parties to appeal to Asian Americans online is to appeal to them offline as well.’
- ‘What can Asian Americans do to find a unified voice in American politics?’
- ‘Unfamiliarity with therapy may prompt some Asian Americans to safeguard personal information and to avoid the discussion of sensitive topics when in treatment.’
- ‘African Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans are editorial page editors and op-ed editors as well as editorial writers and columnists.’
- ‘Asians and Asian Americans occasionally ask me the same question, but possibly with different meaning.’
- ‘Chinese Americans constitute the largest group of Asian Americans.’
- ‘Most of the students involved are African American, Latino, Asian American and American Indian.’
- ‘The three major minority groups are expected to be African Americans, Hispanic and Asian Americans.’
- ‘This kind of ethnic density simply offers Korean Americans and other Asian Americans seeking community more opportunities to strengthen ethnic ties.’
- ‘Previous research has also determined that Asians and Asian Americans tend to seek help from social networks rather than from professionals such as counselors.’
- ‘It also happens to be the number-one industry that both Latinos and Asian Americans would most like to work within.’
- ‘When we use terms such as African American, Latinos, Asian Americans, and Native Americans, we uppercase those terms.’
- ‘Five researchers are female and one is male; four were white, one is Mexican American, and one Asian American.’
- ‘Psychology wasn't really something Asian Americans considered going into as a field.’
- ‘The students were from diverse backgrounds, including White, Asian American, and African American students.’
- ‘She has also done research on African American and Asian American relations in the twentieth century.’
Relating to Asian Americans.
- ‘How do you feel about the lack of an Asian-American presence in the hip-hop mainstream of the United States?’
- ‘When ABC approached her to star as herself in the first sitcom to feature an Asian-American family, Cho was desperate to get off the road and thrilled by the idea of being a working actress.’
- ‘The Asian American literary movement is one of the most remarkable in American literary history.’
- ‘Although she was drawn to New York because of its large Chinese population, Mah is cultivating a reputation as a designer with a New York style, rather than as an Asian-American designer.’
- ‘Gone is the tight focus on the Asian-American experience, the self-recriminating, hapless protagonists and the language dense as bamboo thickets.’
- ‘There's a large selection of African-American interest books for children, as well as Native-American, Jewish and Asian-American titles.’
- ‘An avalanche of movies about the rich and varied Asian-American experience is long overdue; perhaps Lin's work will prompt that.’
- ‘As a sixth generation Chinese-American, I see myself as one of the many Asian-American designers who will be taking the art and design world by storm in the years to come.’
- ‘There are essays by a Latina feminist and an Asian American feminist.’
- ‘In honor of Asian-American Month, we spotlight three musicians who pay homage to, and foretell the future of, this unique cross-cultural mix.’
- ‘His professors could not help him, because they did not know of any Asian American writers or Asian American publications.’
- ‘What school will not only add majors - environmental studies, Asian-American studies, computer science - but have the temerity to cut them?’
- ‘Gender differences in parental control were not as apparent among African American and Asian American youth.’
- ‘There were never a lot of Asian-American comics to begin with.’
- ‘Right now, though, there is a subterranean wave of Asian-American films, particularly documentaries, which can be detected at gatherings like the Asian-American film festival here last month.’
- ‘The magazine also reports on the media and the manner in which it covers Asian Americans and Asian American issues.’
- ‘And he not only develops art around the conflation of the personal and political, but also actively works around these issues in the Asian-American community.’
- ‘This tale of privileged Asian-American high schoolers whose studious, overachieving image serves as a cover for criminal activity drew criticism for the bleakly amoral light it throws on its subjects.’
- ‘More recent studies seem to point in the direction that there is a need to clarify conceptual findings by examining intra-group differences within the Asian-American population.’
- ‘A study published in Cancer shows that Asian-American cancer patients have stomach tumors with different biologic traits than the tumors found in non-Asians.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.