Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A quality or object enabling its holder to gratify any wish:‘his charm was his Aladdin's lamp’
- ‘From the statue of liberty to Aladdin's lamp, Dhoka's has an amazing collection of perfume bottles.’
- ‘As a child, I'd imagine them popping out of Aladdin's lamp, granting wishes.’
- ‘Let it be the most wonderful reminder to you to think thoughts only of what you want, and to know that the Grand Genie of the Universe is serving you in every moment of your life. The Secret Lamp is your real-life Aladdin's Lamp.’
- ‘It resembles a palm-size Aladdin's lamp and is found at most natural food stores.’
- ‘One suspects that if GHA coach David Wilson could find Aladdin's lamp then his first wish would be to reverse this early set-back and the psychological damage it must have caused his team.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.