One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Regarding African or black culture as pre-eminent.
- ‘The Black feminist perspective generates an underlying primary theory for moving to a culturally appropriate or Afrocentric model.’
- ‘I've talked a bit about my Afrocentric elementary school before.’
- ‘The term was later applied by Afrocentric writers to Africans.’
- ‘But it's the Gullah culture - the Afrocentric arts, crafts, food, music, legends and language - that speaks to the soul of Black Americans.’
- ‘In the 1990s, researchers emphasized an Afrocentric approach to the study of Black identity.’
- ‘Thus, in terms of the role of dialogue in an Afrocentric feminist epistemology, Black women may again experience a convergence of the values of the African-American community and woman-centered values.’
- ‘On the other hand, some school districts in selected African American areas have endorsed a controversial Afrocentric curriculum.’
- ‘Controlled choice fosters a range of interesting pedagogies, the authors argue, from French immersion to basic skills to Afrocentric to Drama-based.’
- ‘American hip-hop goes through Afrocentric phases but it doesn't want to know about its African imitators, or that's the impression you get reading the interviews in these liner notes.’
- ‘When she discarded the Afrocentric style that was her early trademark, record executives were dismayed.’
- ‘‘I love the versatility of her music and her faithfulness to Afrocentric style,’ she says.’
- ‘The last example invokes an Afrocentric royal African lineage and past in order to salvage a self-esteem beaten down by oppression.’
- ‘Fortunately for him, his African grandmother and mother and his Afrocentric Black American father have all contributed to his being grounded in a strong Black identity.’
- ‘They were the forerunners of today's Afrocentric rappers, opening the door to a jazz/hip-hop union that continues to be experimented with from London to New York.’
- ‘One of the basic underlying assumptions of Afrocentric theory emanates from the school of thought delineated in Black family literature.’
- ‘In such travels to so many corners of the African American world, Black becomes the first Afrocentric, Pan-African, revolutionary ideologue and hero in world literature.’
- ‘This video provides a vision of African-American young men and women singing classical and Afrocentric music and performing African dance.’
- ‘Many provide an Afrocentric curriculum that fosters racial pride among their students, which many black educators believe will help students do better academically.’
- ‘Naming is important in rap and in Afrocentric music in general, where it is an act of invocation that captures the essence of one's being.’
- ‘Educational programs that use an Afrocentric approach appear to be effective in changing African-American teenagers' behavior.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.