Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A style of popular music incorporating elements of African music and jazz, soul, and funk.
- ‘While it's true that Femi basically plays modern Afrobeat, his approach differs quite a lot from his father's.’
- ‘Part performer and part activist, Kuti used the musical style, Afrobeat, to make a social statement.’
- ‘Funk music was exported to Africa in the late 1960s, and melded with African singing and rhythms to form Afrobeat.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he was a pivotal player in defining Afrobeat, which makes him an ideal focus for a musical benefit.’
- ‘I don't think Afrobeat is the only genre that can do it.’
- ‘He said, "Afro-beat will be the music of the future."’
- ‘Interviewed for the Herald's Metro before the show, Kuti asserted his love of traditional Afrobeat.’
- ‘Jazz is definitely a dialogue, but at its best Afrobeat is a total conversation.’
- ‘On returning to Nigeria, Fela single-handedly developed and popularised a new, innovative musical style he named Afrobeat.’
- ‘He's been known to spin the latest in everything from hip-hop and soul to funk, house and Afrobeat.’
- ‘The popularity of Brazilian and Afro-beat is great, but commercialization is always lurking.’
- ‘This is Afro-beat… effortless, serious funk with fantastic oomphy brass sections.’
- ‘The documentary captures the vibrant music scene in Lagos and reveals the major young Nigerian Afrobeat, hip hop and fusion artists.’
- ‘If you like Afrobeat and Arabic pop, it's a combination of both.’
- ‘And Afrobeat is a way of life, you have to live your music.’
- ‘They have many styles, from the fresh funk sounds of Afro-beat in West Africa to rumba OK Jazz in the Democratic Republic of Congo.’
- ‘Roy says this event may shatter some people's illusions that African music is made up only of Afrobeat.’
- ‘I'm not even going to skirt around it: Lately, I've been listening to basically nothing but Afrobeat and drone-based ambient music.’
- ‘Maybe some people will recognize one of the remixes and get turned on to Afro-beat and the rest of my father's music.’
- ‘By general consensus, he invented the devilishly complicated, deceptively simple-sounding rhythm that came to be known as Afrobeat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.