One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of popular music incorporating elements of African music and jazz, soul, and funk.
- ‘Maybe some people will recognize one of the remixes and get turned on to Afro-beat and the rest of my father's music.’
- ‘Funk music was exported to Africa in the late 1960s, and melded with African singing and rhythms to form Afrobeat.’
- ‘And Afrobeat is a way of life, you have to live your music.’
- ‘The documentary captures the vibrant music scene in Lagos and reveals the major young Nigerian Afrobeat, hip hop and fusion artists.’
- ‘Interviewed for the Herald's Metro before the show, Kuti asserted his love of traditional Afrobeat.’
- ‘On returning to Nigeria, Fela single-handedly developed and popularised a new, innovative musical style he named Afrobeat.’
- ‘He said, "Afro-beat will be the music of the future."’
- ‘If you like Afrobeat and Arabic pop, it's a combination of both.’
- ‘I don't think Afrobeat is the only genre that can do it.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he was a pivotal player in defining Afrobeat, which makes him an ideal focus for a musical benefit.’
- ‘Jazz is definitely a dialogue, but at its best Afrobeat is a total conversation.’
- ‘This is Afro-beat… effortless, serious funk with fantastic oomphy brass sections.’
- ‘Part performer and part activist, Kuti used the musical style, Afrobeat, to make a social statement.’
- ‘While it's true that Femi basically plays modern Afrobeat, his approach differs quite a lot from his father's.’
- ‘The popularity of Brazilian and Afro-beat is great, but commercialization is always lurking.’
- ‘I'm not even going to skirt around it: Lately, I've been listening to basically nothing but Afrobeat and drone-based ambient music.’
- ‘By general consensus, he invented the devilishly complicated, deceptively simple-sounding rhythm that came to be known as Afrobeat.’
- ‘He's been known to spin the latest in everything from hip-hop and soul to funk, house and Afrobeat.’
- ‘They have many styles, from the fresh funk sounds of Afro-beat in West Africa to rumba OK Jazz in the Democratic Republic of Congo.’
- ‘Roy says this event may shatter some people's illusions that African music is made up only of Afrobeat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.