Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dog of a small breed resembling the griffon.
- ‘Today, the German smooth-haired pinscher is considered the stepfather of several German breeds, including affenpinschers.’
- ‘The Affenpinscher's name describes it well: 'Affen' meaning monkey and 'Pinscher' meaning terrier.’
- ‘Although shaggy, given its almost one-inch coat, the general appearance of an Affenpinscher is neat.’
- ‘Seeing off the postman is a high point in an affenpinscher's daily routine that is hard to suppress.’
- ‘The affenpinscher is thought to be the most suitable for a family pet as it is very intelligent and easy to train.’
German, from Affe monkey + Pinscher terrier.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.