One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a farming and pastoral people of northern Uganda and South Sudan.
- ‘The Acholi are located in the Gulu, Kitgum and Pader districts, while the Langi are in the neighboring Lango district.’
- ‘One of them was the Acholi, a tribe that populates the northern Gulu region where the couple struggled for years to build their hospital.’
- ‘The Acholi are great nickname givers, like Egyptians.’
- ‘The Acholi is the dominant tribe in northern Uganda.’
- ‘Like many African communities, the Acholi believe that deep social rifts are caused by killings and require elaborate reconciliation mechanisms to restore fractured relations.’
2mass noun The Nilotic language of the Acholi.
- ‘But, Okot's topical, graphic, and exciting version, read side by side with my ponderous lines, should yield to the reader as much of what the Acholi original has as is possible.’
- ‘Mother tongue proficiency in Acholi, Ateso, Kumam or Lango and excellent English and/or French are required.’
- ‘They speak Acholi, Amharic, Bemba, Chaldean, Dinka, Pashto, Kinyarwanda, Nuer, Somali, and many other languages.’
- ‘The Western Nilotic language groups include the Langi and Acholi as well as the Alur.’
- ‘He was soft-spoken and he spoke Acholi through an interpreter.’
Relating to the Acholi or their language.
- ‘Several internationally cerebrated Acholi authors include Frank Anywar, and the late Okot p'Bitek.’
- ‘Some reference to the classical West African epics, to Oko p'Bitek's Acholi songs, or the long tradition of Swahili literature would have been useful.’
- ‘The Acholi tribe has sophisticated rites of forgiveness and reconciliation, a lesson to those of us in the West.’
- ‘The Acholi and Langi ethnic groups were particular objects of Amin's political persecution because they had supported Obote and made up a large part of the army.’
- ‘The Acholi people of Northern Uganda have a rich and diverse cultural heritage.’
The name in Acholi.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.