Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to Achaea in ancient Greece.
- ‘In 224 Antigonus marched south, organized his allies into a Hellenic League under Macedonian presidency, restored Achaean influence in Arcadia and in 222 invaded Laconia.’
- ‘Argos was an Achaean city in the Peloponnesus.’
- ‘The Achaean soldiers always sacrificed to Zeus.’
- 1.1literary (especially in Homeric contexts) Greek.
- ‘Apparently particularly prominent in this respect is the North Aegean region, the home of Maron and Euneos's special gift-worthy wines and of the Thracian wine brought daily to Troy for the Achaean army.’
- ‘The entire Achaean army is kept well supplied at Troy; Eumaios has plenty of wine in his humble hut; and even plowmen drink wine to refresh themselves in the course of their work.’
- ‘He kills almost a dozen Greek captains and the Achaean line begins to flee.’
- ‘He begged the whole Achaean army but most of all the two supreme commanders, Atreus' two sons,’
- ‘The war had also weakened the coalition in the region which included Troy, allowing successful Achaean expansion from across the Aegean under Agememnon.’
1An inhabitant of Achaea.
- ‘Philopoemen, the ancient leader of the Achaeans, is the embodiment of a prince who is constantly engaged in military affairs.’
- ‘The island's Greek heritage dates back to the Achaeans from southern Greece, who settled there between 2000 and 1600 BC.’
- ‘In Thessaly, the original revolt of the slaves occurred because the Thessalians were still at war with the neighbouring Achaeans and Magnesians.’
- 1.1literary (especially in Homeric contexts) a Greek.
- ‘Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans.’
- ‘In terms of simple military success, Achilles is 'the best of the Achaeans', or Greeks, but he takes the heroic code of honour to extremes.’
- ‘Chryses approached the Achaeans ' fast ships to win his daughter back, bringing a priceless ransom.’
- ‘The procedure is exactly the same as Chryses' in Book 1 of the Iliad, where the priest reminds Apollo of his piety on many occasions, so that the god may feel the readier to punish the Achaeans for their blasphemy.’
- ‘He was the best of the Achaeans, a warrior by whom all other warriors were to be measured.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.