One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Abkhazia, its people, or their language.
- ‘Their peacekeepers actively aided the advance of Abkhaz troops.’
- ‘In the northwest, members of the Abkhaz ethnic group asserted their right to self-determination.’
- ‘There was little in Georgian or Abkhaz national mythology to explain the depth of hatred that arose during the conflict there.’
- ‘They hope Russia will put pressure on the Abkhaz and South Ossetian leaderships to give up their quest for independence.’
- ‘The apparent end of the Abkhaz election crisis should pave the way for resuming talks with Georgia on settling the territorial conflict.’
- ‘He claimed he would ‘do his utmost to peacefully settle the Abkhaz conflict.’’
- ‘His death has sparked concerns among South Ossetian and Abkhaz leaders.’
- ‘At the time of writing, neither the Abkhaz nor the Ossetian conflicts have been resolved.’
- ‘The Abkhaz coast appears, fringed with palms, oleanders and groves of eucalyptus trees planted long ago by the Russians to dry out the malarial marshes.’
- ‘It is true that the military channelled logistical support to Abkhaz separatists during the war.’
- ‘The Abkhaz separatist dispute also continues to absorb much of the government's attention.’
- ‘Abkhaz and Ossetian leaders were immediately summoned to Moscow for consultations.’
1A member of a people living mainly in Abkhazia.
- ‘No one has been able to offer anything attractive enough to woo the South Ossetians and Abkhaz into a unified country.’
- ‘They were represented on the flag by green and white stripes: four greens for the Muslims (Circassians, Balkars, Chechens, Daghestan) and three whites for the Christians (the Abkhaz, Kabards, Ossetians).’
- ‘In 1993 he and his men had helped the inexperienced Abkhaz to capture Abkhazia's capital.’
- ‘The texts have been taken from four of the ethnic groups who possess Nart sagas: the Adyges, the Abazas, the Abkhaz and the Ubykhs.’
- ‘He added, ‘No one asked Ossetians and the Abkhaz whether they want to stay in Georgia.’’
- ‘Georgian forces were driven out during fierce fighting that killed thousands of ethnic Abkhaz and Georgians.’
- ‘However, among the Abkhaz and Ossetians, tension and radical nationalism after the disintegration of the Soviet Union led to civil wars.’
2mass noun The North Caucasian language of the Abkhaz.
- ‘The Abkhaz texts were translated by George Hewitt from their original language.’
- ‘Most Abkhazians are ethnic Abkhazes and their first language is Abkhaz, though they speak Russian as well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.