Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the first Palaeolithic culture in Europe, now usually referred to as the Lower Acheulian.
- ‘Extensive archeological finds of obsidian instruments roughly fashioned by the primitive man indicate ancient human settlements in Armenia, dating back to the Old Stone Age (Abbevillian culture) and further onwards.’
- ‘The researchers identified in the cave three different ancient human cultures: Acheulean, Abbevillian, and Mousterian.’
- ‘Early Acheulian or Abbevillian begins in Karnataka around 1.5 million years ago and advance Acheulian continues up to 15 million years ago at Patpara in Son Valley.’
- ‘Subdivisions of the Paleolithic include the: Lower Paleolithic (Oldowan, Clactonian, Abbevillian, Acheulean), Middle Paleolithic, the time of the hand axe-industries and Upper Paleolithic (Châtelperronian, Aurignacian, Solutrean, Gravettian, Magdalenian).’
- 1.1The Abbevillian culture or period.
1930s: from French Abbevillien from Abbeville, a town in northern France where tools from this culture were discovered.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.