One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A variable star in the constellation Perseus, regarded as the prototype of eclipsing binary stars.
From Arabic al ġūl ‘the ghoul’.
An early high-level computer programming language devised to carry out scientific calculations.
- ‘Among his achievements in his career in industry and academia, is the development of the first commercial compiler for the programming language Algol 60.’
- ‘ALGOL was used mostly by research computer scientists in the United States and in Europe.’
- ‘Out of this enthusiasm for string-rewriting grew classical computer languages like Algol - 60.’
- ‘With tape recorders being forbidden, and shorthand-writing becoming as rare as Algol coding, it's not easy to analyse the significance of what happened in the courtroom on Wednesday without the transcript.’
- ‘He should be remembered for many things but the thing often missed is that he developed the stack model of computation which he employed in his version of Algol 60.’
1950s: from algo(rithmic) + the initial letter of language.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.